Please note that the posts in this blog are in reverse order, so the newest posts are at the top and the oldest posts are at the bottom. You can enlarge most of the photos by clicking on them.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
A LITTLE CLOSER
Tonight I carried on with the wiring. Found the old solenoid and wasn't too impressed with the state of it. Grubby to say the least, so I spent a few minutes cleaning it all up including the terminals and posts. Then I cleaned up the long starter motor cable and routed it along the frame, over the right coil and down to the starter. Next up was the battery cables.
Pretty soon it was all connected up to the main loom. Glad I took so many photos of the bike before I stripped her or I'd have struggled to figure out which way the cables were routed. One thing that cheesed me off a bit was the reflectors at the front of the bike. Ages ago I had decided that I didn't like them and wasn't going to put them back on the bike but tonight I realised that the clutch cable and starter cable were held in place by them Grrr. So I then had to pull the garage apart trying to find it. Jeez, what a job! Luckily I found the bugger and cleaned it up best I could.
Way, way back in August 1980, I was working as a young steel-erector in Newcastle Upon Tyne and around the corner from where I worked was "Ken's Motorcycles" on the West Road. In the window was a brand new CB250N Superdream in shiny black - and I wanted it! So I got got the brochure (shown below), begged my future father in law to act as guarantor and signed on the £820 dotted line.
I loved that bike - it got me back and forth between Bolton and Newcastle with no problems or hiccups and lots of fun. From memory, it did something like 60 miles per gallon and could burn off most cars. What else does a young lad want?
Anyway, 28 years later, I decided to get another one and refurbish it over the winter months. I've done similar projects in the past and really enjoyed them, so I'm hoping that this one turns out as well as the others. Having said that, this project will be a REFURB as opposed to a rebuild.
The donor-bike looked to be in pretty good shape at first glance, but as usual, it all turns pear-shaped when you remove your rose-tinted glasses and start to see what's REALLY there!
The first thing that I want to do, is spend a little time finding out whether or not the engine needs a rebuild. If it doesn't really need it, so much the better. If it does need doing, then there'll be a significant delay as I spend time clearing out the garage to give me a lot more space.
I estimate that this project will take 3 or 4 months to complete but due to other interests/hobbies, it may go longer.
So, I'll start off with a few photos of the bike in its current condition and then log the progress of the refurb as I go along. Please feel free to comment or offer advice. Hope you enjoy!
Lancashire Lad, born in Bolton and still living there (well Horwich actually, on the edge of the West Pennine Moors) with my beautiful and artistic fiance. Love to paint outdoors whenever I can. Love to cook too :-)