Please note that the posts in this blog are in reverse order, so the newest posts are at the top and the oldest posts are at the bottom. You can enlarge most of the photos by clicking on them.

Monday, March 26, 2012

NEW START


Optimism is a great thing. And so is sunshine. Both those things came together today and led me to open up the garage door for the first time in 5 months! The bike had reached the stage where it just refused to even start anymore. Very, very disheartening after all I've been through.

Without an engine that will even tickover, how the hell am I supposed to find the "5k" fault? Anyway, I removed the carbs YET AGAIN and checked everything over. Nothing was out of place, so I refitted them, checked the valve clearances YET AGAIN, checked the plugs and finally fitted the fuel tank (which was brimming with fuel). I had also removed the headlight to check all those "crammed in" connections - and they all looked fine. While it was accessible, I temporarily switched over from the new 3rd-party ignition switch to the old original one too. I took readings with a multimeter and found absolutely no difference between the two switches, so I replugged the new switch back in.

Battery-Booster connected, I pushed the starter button and after a little resisting, she gave in and fired into life! Bit of spluttering and farting, but after a careful tweak of the choke and throttle, I managed to get her ticking over calmly and even revving throughout the rev-range once warm.

So, so far so good. She now starts up first time every time but I have no idea if the "5k" problem still exists because you can only tell when the bike is under load. I won't be in a position to ride her until I've re-prepared her for an MOT.

Got a few little jobs to sort out before that though.

No comments:

Bike Details

Honda CB250N Superdream
Reg No : ORH746W (ORH 746 W)
Reg Date : 1980
Orig Colour : Blue
New Colour : Black
Current Owner : Tom McQuiggan
Current Location : Horwich, Bolton, UK.