Please note that the posts in this blog are in reverse order, so the newest posts are at the top and the oldest posts are at the bottom. You can enlarge most of the photos by clicking on them.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

FROM PETER IN STAFFS.....

Hi, I've been following your blog since Nov 2009; I'm 48 and bought a 1981 250 Superdream around that time. It was in original condition with 16k on the clock and ran beautifully. Since then I've spent quite a bit on it (tyres, brakes, chain, filters, etc.) and have ridden it only occasionally. However, about 4 months ago I found out why my fuel wasn't lasting long; I saw droplets of fuel seeping through the tank paintwork. A rusty hole inside the tank, at the bottom of the 'narrow' end nearest the front of the seat. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

Since then I've been waiting for a black one to replace it with to come up on Ebay but that's not gonna happen. I've bought 'Flowliner' to seal the tank but I'm really struggling to even get the rust out of the tank! Can I ask what you would do? Like you, I don't want this to become an 'Unfinished Project' ad on Ebay!! AND.... did you refurb and spray the tank yourself? It looks gorgeous! AND...........how can I get the engine looking as clean and shiny as yours? I know you're busy but I'm actually getting desperate for help.



Thanks for reading this.
Pete Wakefield, Alsager, Staffs.

Hi Peter, thanks for following the blog for so long! Sorry to hear about your tank problem - it's not uncommon on 30yr old tanks though. If I were you, I'd get a decent replacement tank from eBay and get it resprayed by your local bodyshop. Buy the tank decals first though from Sunrise Graphics. I had my tank, side-panels and rear cowl done to a very high standard but it cost me £400.

As for the engine, I thoroughly degreased it, and then applied MANY MANY layers of Sperex Engine Enamel, leaving good drying times between coats. It was obviously made easy because the engine was out of the frame. Hope that helps mate.

Tom

No comments:

Bike Details

Honda CB250N Superdream
Reg No : ORH746W (ORH 746 W)
Reg Date : 1980
Orig Colour : Blue
New Colour : Black
Current Owner : Tom McQuiggan
Current Location : Horwich, Bolton, UK.